Five baby bottlenose dolphins born at Discovery Cove
SeaWorld Orlando has a lot of celebrating to do as they have welcomed Five baby bottlenose dolphins within one month of each other:
- Kona, a girl, was born August 3 to mom Roxy;
- Titan, a boy, was born August 6 to mom Calypso;
- Nero, a boy, was born August 7 to mom Nueces;
- Star, a girl, was born August 14 to mom Stella; and
- Storm, born September 2 to mom Hailey – Storm’s gender has not yet been determined
At birth, each calf weighed approximately 35 pounds and measured about 43 inches in length. The babies each nurse for several minutes every hour and get 100% of their nutrition from their mothers’ milk.
The new moms are attentive, keeping their babies close and swimming constantly to create a “slip stream,” or wake, in which the calves can swim easily, exerting as little energy as possible. Within hours of their arrival, the calves’ tails and dorsal fins — soft and pliable at birth — gradually stiffen, which helps them learn to swim on their own.
A team of trainers and veterinarians are watching over the moms and babies around the clock, carefully monitoring and recording their respiration rates, nursing and overall progress. The data and observations gathered by Discovery Cove will be shared with zoological facilities all over the world.