The Great LEGO Race VR roller coaster opens at LEGOLAND Florida
Yesterday during a grand opening celebration, LEGOLAND Florida opened their latest attraction, The Great LEGO Race VR roller coaster. This “new” attraction is actually the former Lego Technic Test Track roller coaster.
LEGOLAND closed the roller coaster last year and transformed it into The Great LEGO Race VR roller coaster. The roller coaster received a variety of updates and enhancements, including a new queue, entrance and of course, VR headsets. The queue line now features a variety of hands-on LEGO activities for the kids to enjoy, including the opportunity for kids and familes to “build” their own LEGO race car driver and car.
Once strapped into the coaster, guests are fitted with a unique LEGO-themed VR headset and the race is on! The race puts guests against a LEGO pirate, wizard, surfer, trendsetter and pharaoh driving brick-built vehicles like a rocket-powered windsurfing rig, a stylish scooter fueled by espresso and an ornately canopied bed (called a “litter”) carried by mummy servants.
The fun then begins with all of the twists and turns of the roller coaster, but instead you are enveloped into the world of LEGO as you race to the finish line!
“The Great LEGO Race was inspired by the way kids play with LEGO toys at home,” said Candy Holland, senior creative director for Merlin Magic Making. “It’s a unique LEGO adventure that lets kids enter an epic, imaginary world made entirely from LEGO bricks, featuring a host of different themes and fun LEGO characters all mixed up together.”
The attraction was developed under the supervision of Merlin Magic Making, the company’s global creative and delivery division, The Great LEGO Race is the first virtual reality roller coaster experience designed for kids and represents the first time the LEGO brand and minifigure characters have been integrated with the state-of-the-art technology in a theme park attraction.
Who can ride The Great LEGO Race at LEGOLAND Florida?
Thinking about heading to LEGOLAND Florida to ride The Great LEGO Race? Here are a few important bits of information:
- The Great LEGO Race is a “Wild Mouse”-style roller coaster where riders at least 6 years old and 48 inches tall (1.21m) can wear optional virtual reality (VR) headsets to experience the point-of-view of a LEGO minifigure race car driver
- Under 42 inches (1.06m): Not tall enough to ride yet! Check out other exciting attractions like AQUAZONE Wave Racers, Technicycle, Kid Power Towers, The Dragon and LEGO NINJAGO® The Ride.
- 42-47 inches (1.06m-1.19m): Can ride without the VR headset when accompanied by a responsible rider 14 years or older and at least 48 inches tall (1.21m), who must ride without the VR headset to supervise his or her companion.
- 48 inches (1.21m) and above: Can ride with or without the VR headset if he or she is alone. If he or she is supervising a companion rider 42-47 inches (1.06m-1.19m), both riders cannot wear the VR headset.
- Guests must be at least 6 years old and 48 inches tall (1.21m) in order to wear the VR headset.
- Guests in wheelchairs must be able to transfer to the ride vehicle with assistance from a member of their party. While LEGOLAND Model Citizens are happy to assist, they are not permitted to lift guests into or out of a ride vehicle.
- Guests with full leg casts and/or full arm casts are not permitted to ride. Guests must have one natural leg to the end of the kneecap, and one fully constructed natural or prosthetic leg. Guests must have one arm (including a prosthetic) that can continuously grasp and they must fit securely within the ride restraint mechanisms. All prosthetic devices must be secured or stored before riding.
Can I ride without the VR headset?
- Yes. A guest 48 inches (1.21m) or taller can ride with or without the VR headset if he or she is alone. If he or she is supervising a companion rider 42-47 inches (1.06m-1.19m), both riders cannot wear the VR headset.
- Guests 42-47 inches (1.06m-1.19m) can ride without the VR headset when accompanied by a responsible rider 14 years or older and at least 48 inches tall (1.21m), who must ride without the VR headset to supervise his or her companion.
Can I remove the VR headset while riding?
- Guests can safely remove the VR headset at any point while riding. The headset is tethered to the ride vehicle before departing the loading platform.
- If a guest removes the headset or it slips off while riding, they should hold it in their lap for the remainder of the ride.
- If the VR animation stops or goes black due to technical difficulties while riding, guests should remove the headset and hold it in their lap for the remainder of the ride.
When are the VR headsets cleaned?
- LEGOLAND Model Citizens wipe each headset clean with a sanitizing pad after each use. Headsets are inspected regularly and replaced as necessary.
Want to keep up with the latest news, photos and more from LEGOLAND Florida Resort? Be sure to subscribe to the ThrillGeek Newsletter below!