Disney announces Disney+ details, including pricing, launch date and more
Disney has finally opened the floodgates when it comes to just what exactly will be on Disney+, when it will launch, and just how much it will cost. All of which we are about to dive into. Let’s first take a look at some of the NEW content Disney confirmed yesterday during the announcements.
- “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier” live-action series with Anthony Mackie returning as Falcon and Sebastian Stan reprising his role as Winter Soldier
- “WandaVision” live-action series with Elizabeth Olsen returning as Wanda Maximoff and Paul Bettany reprising his role as The Vision
- “Marvel’s What If…?,” the first animated series from Marvel Studios, taking inspiration from the comic books of the same name. Each episode will explore a pivotal moment from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and turn it on its head, leading the audience into uncharted territory
- The Mandalorian, Disney and Lucasfilm’s first live-action Star Wars television series, will be part of the first offerings available on Disney+.
- Alan Tudyk Returning as K-2SO for Disney+ ‘Rogue One’ Prequel Series
Walt Disney Animation Studios:
- “Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2” documentary series showing the hard work and imagination that go into making one of the most highly-anticipated Walt Disney Animation Studios features
Pixar Animation Studios:
- Toy Story-based projects, “Forky Asks a Question” animated short series and “Lamp Life” short film
- “The World According to Jeff Goldblum” documentary series where Jeff pulls back the curtain on a seemingly familiar object to reveal a world of astonishing connections, fascinating science, and a whole lot of big ideas
- “Magic of the Animal Kingdom” documentary series which takes viewers behind the scenes with the highly respected animal-care experts, veterinarians, and biologists at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Epcot’s SeaBase aquarium
Disney Television Animation:
- “The Phineas and Ferb Movie” (working title) animated film featuring many of the original voice cast
These titles will join previously announced scripted originals including “The Mandalorian,” the world’s first scripted live-action Star Wars series, the exclusive new season of “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series,” the untitled Cassian Andor series starring Diego Luna and Alan Tudyk, the Marvel Studios series “Loki” starring Tom Hiddleston, “Monsters at Work,” “Diary of a Female President,” and live-action films “Lady and the Tramp,” “Noelle,” “Togo,” Timmy Failure” and “Stargirl.” Nonfiction series also announced earlier this week include “Be Our Chef,” “Cinema Relics: Iconic Art of the Movies (wt),” “Earthkeepers (wt),” “Encore!,” the untitled Walt Disney Imagineering documentary series, “Marvel’s 616,” “Marvel’s Hero Project,” “(Re)Connect,” “Rogue Trip,” and “Shop Class (wt).”
Disney also touched on the recent completion of the 20th Century Fox merger announcing that all 30 seasons of “The Simpsons” will be available on the service on day one. In year one, audiences will also have access to family-friendly Fox titles like “The Sound of Music,” “The Princess Bride,” and “Malcolm in the Middle.”
Disney mentions that subscribers will have the ability to create custom profiles with each receiving personalized experiences curated to their unique tastes based on past behaviors and preferred content.
The Disney+ service will be available on a wide range of mobile and connected TV devices, including gaming consoles, streaming media players, and smart TVs, and will adjust to the best possible high definition viewing experience based on a subscriber’s available bandwidth, with support for up to 4K HDR video playback. Disney also announced that many titles will be available for offline viewing.
Bundling details, such as with Hulu, were not detailed at this announcement. No word on whether we will get any sort of bundling at all from Disney.
Pricing & Launch Date
Disney+ will launch in the U.S. on November 12, 2019 at $6.99 per month or $69.99 a year.
Will you be signing up for Disney+? Let us know in the comments below!